Submitted by Monroe Village Historian Charles King and Linda Burroughs The history of The First Presbyterian Church in the Town of Monroe began under this tree about April 20, 1783. Rev. Silas Constant of Blooming Grove preached the sermon and from this service sprang the Presbyterian Church of Monroe. The people evidently "had a mind to work" for about a month later, May 28, 1783 the framework of the church of Seamanville was raised. This photograph was taken June 25, 1908. The above "first meeting under an apple tree" took place on Rye Hill Road and Reynolds Road. Following the meeting Daniel Miller, a Christian gentleman and the miller of the mill at Seamanville donated the land on the far side of his millpond for a meetinghouse and cemetery; the location is the present day Spring Street. The meetinghouse was used until 1853. After the completion of the church in the village the little meetinghouse was sold and removed. The birds kept lonely vigil over the resting place of the past members of the meetinghouse fellowship, that of one pastor, the children of four ministers and the wives of two. The wooded ground overlooking the Seamanville millpond was intended by nature to be a spot of beauty. As time went on, the cemetery was enclosed by a stonewall and iron gates in order to keep the neighboring farmers sheep from grazing in the cemetery. A monument erected in 1912 by the church trustee's states in part "In memory of the pioneer dead who lie buried here in unmarked graves." Many notable names in Monroe Presbyterian Church's history have taken a personal interest in seeing the Seamanville Cemetery be maintained. The cemetery is divided into three sections. Section one is the oldest and was given by Mr. Daniel Miller. The second section was donated by Mr. Roscoe Smith, and is this is the area presently being developed. In the center of section two is a meditation garden for personal use and where a church service is held during June of each year. Mrs. Harold Arnold gave section three. This section has a roadway roughed out, undesirable trees cleared and the ground rough graded. Great care is taken concerning the cemetery's appearance, i.e.: tree care, replacing old or damaged trees, trimming trees, desirable plantings in the meditation garden, road maintenance, etc. Stonewalls have been built in the memorial garden and the entire length of section two in keeping with section one. A recent addition is the millstone from the original Seamanville mill, given in memory of Frank C. Faber by his family. Plot regulations are in effect in order to maintain a pleasing and dignified effect in keeping with a colonial cemetery. A professional lawn and landscape service is hired to maintain the grounds. Seamanville Cemetery is listed nationally as a historic site and a historic marker is posted by the side of the rear entrance of section one. The church has an appointed committee of ten members, presently chaired by Clifford Berchtold that oversees the running of the cemetery.