Fire destroys Monroe home

| 22 Feb 2012 | 04:42

Monroe - A Monroe family lost their home Monday morning to a fire that started on the second floor. Firefighters from the Monroe Joint Fire District (composed of Mombasha, Harriman Engine and Lakeside fire companies) as well as those from Tuxedo, Chester and Woodbury brought the fire under control on Orchard Terrace within 45 minutes of the 9:05 a.m. alert. Two family members and their dog were able to leave the house without incident. Firefighters arriving on scene found fire and smoke billowing out of the second floor of the single-family residence. The crews contained the fire to the second floor, attic and roof. Single-digit temperatures made conditions difficult and treacherous. One civilian and one firefighter were injured after falling on the ice. Chester and Tuxedo firefighters provided tankers for additional water because the fire occurred in an area of Monroe without fire hydrants. Several other departments provided standby coverage and responded to additional incidents for the Monroe Fire Department while they were operating at the fire. “Although the house received significant damage due to the fire,” Fire Chief Vini Tankasali said, “I can’t say enough about the tremendous job firefighters did in preventing any further damage to the structure and operating in the extreme cold temperatures.”