March 9 'An Evening of Readings, Music and Prayer' at St. Mary's in Tuxedo to benefit food pantry
TUXEDO — St. Mary’s in Tuxedo Episcopal Church is hosting an ecumenical service on Wednesday, March 9, at 7:30 p.m. to raise awareness and support for the Sloatsburg Food Pantry.
Five congregations will be represented for “An Evening of Readings, Music and Prayer,” to raise awareness and support for the food pantry, including: St. Mary's, Sloatsburg United Methodist Church, St. Elizabeth's Memorial Chapel in Sloatsburg, St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church in Sloatsburg and Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church in Tuxedo.
The food pantry's mission is to work together as a community to provide nutritionally balanced, supplemental food to those in need.
The pantry, established in the early 1990s by the Sloatsburg United Methodist Church, originally served 12 families and has grown over time, evolving to serve a larger community need for those living in the Town of Tuxedo in addition to Sloatsburg, Suffern, Hillburn, Airmont, and Montebello.
In 2015, more than 67,500 meals were provided to those in need within the local community. Approximately 40 percent of the pantry’s clients are children.
A community choir will perform at the service.
• The Pantry offers food distribution on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• Items in need include: hearty/chunky soup, cereal, healthy snacks, granola/breakfast bars, nonperishable milk, and microwavable single meals
- Christine Urio
MUST READ NEWS
Sign up to get our newsletter emailed to you every week!
- Enter your email address in the box below.
- Select the newsletters you would like to subscribe to.
- Click the 'SUBSCRIBE' button.